Saturday, September 15, 2007

Isles take over Moncton





Yesterday was a great day to be a hockey fan in Moncton, with the New York Islanders in town.
I wrote about the festivities yesterday, so I thought that I'd post a few photos that were in the Times and Transcript.

I can just imagine the atmosphere in Moncton. They closed down Main Street and had a mini-parade of sorts with the Isles, both U de M hockey teams, the Moncton Flyers and the Moncton Gagnon Beavers. The players signed autographs and posed for tons of photos with eager fans (and Bill Guerin stared down photographers all over Monkey-Town - see photo 2). There was even a stage set up in the middle of the street, and the band "Old School" played for the crowd.

It's amazing because Moncton is no itty bitty city. It's the largest city in the province, the second largest east of Québec, and one of the fastest growing places in North America. Main Street reminds me a bit of Old Montréal and even Paris, with restaurants, cafés, and boutiques lining the downtown portion of the road, and they often close it down in the summer for festivals and outdoor mini-concerts.

How I do miss it all...

No comments: