Monday, June 9, 2008

Oh...My...Goodness...

I am stunned.

When CBC announced a few days ago that they were not able to renew their licensing agreement for 'The Hockey Theme,' I thought it was lost. I did not expect today's news, that's for sure.

Turns out we will be hearing the famous 'dum-da-dum-da-dum' next season.

But it won't be on CBC.

CTV has announced that they have acquired the rights to the theme, which they will play for NHL broadcasts on TSN and RDS. Furthermore, we will hear our second national anthem during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

I figure this CTV deal was the reason why CBC couldn't renew the license - CTV was offering more. In fact, CTV has been really kicking butt in terms of broadcasting sports...CBC will broadcast its last Olympics this summer before handing over the reigns to CTV...CTV has every CFL game plus the Grey Cup...all international hockey games, including the WJC and the WC, are broadcast on TSN...they have all four Grand Slam events, and then there's all 4 golf majors, the NBA finals, Series of Champions Curling, NASCAR, F1, NFL games (and the Super Bowl), EURO 2008...and the list goes on.

Crazy...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you...CTV tried to make CBC look bad for not being able to get the song back, when behind the scenes, CTV was probably making a deal for the song. CBC is practically dead now...lol...with the exception of what hockey they have, and Rick Mercer, of course.

Ashley said...

can't forget Little Mosque, too :)

TSN just announced that they bought the song outright, so they'll have the song forever. CBC was trying to do that last week.

I feel kinda bad for CBC, though. It's sad to see it take this nosedive...I see it as one of those 'Canadian' things.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about it being a Canadian thing. CTV really underhanded CBC...it's crazy.

David said...

What's next...a Stanley Coup?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)