Monday, June 9, 2008

The Dominator is Done

According to several reports, future HOF goalie Dominik Hasek is retiring. He is currently the second oldest active player in the NHL, behind his Detroit teammate Chris Chelios.

Originally drafted in the 10th round (199th overall) by Chicago in 1983, he moved on to the Buffalo Sabres where he made his mark in the hockey world.

Hasek won 2 Stanley Cups, 6 Vézina trophies, and a couple of Hart trophies since entering the NHL in 1990 and is arguably one of the best goaltenders in history. He also won gold at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. It is likely that his decision to retire was sparked when he lost his role as the starting goalie for Detroit in the first round of the playoffs this year.

"I'll be honest, I can't enjoy it as I did enjoy the Stanley Cup in 2002," Hasek said, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Hasek is definitely one weird goalie - he doesn't adopt the butterfly or stand-up styles that most goalies use. I liken his style to a fish flopping around in the crease, and it has served him well.

2 comments:

DaBich said...

I've been a long time admirer of the Dominator. He can hold his head up and go out with pride in his accompishments.

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is that he shouldn't have un-retired in the first place. I think that should tell you how much I think of him...lol.