Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Griffey Jr. finally hits No. 600

Ken Griffey Jr. hit his 600th home run yesterday against the Florida Marlins. Good for him, he always seems like a nice guy, so he deserves this milestone.

Now, I don't watch baseball - I can't remember the last time I watched a whole game - but I've been watching the highlights on SportsCentre the last few weeks and something really struck me. I've watched Griffey get up to the plate and be walked time and time again. The same thing happened last year when Bonds was chasing the HR record.

What's up with that?

Why are so many pitchers dead-set against taking a chance and perhaps allowing a home run like this?

To all those pitchers who purposefully walked Ken Griffey Jr., I have this to say: you are all cowards and an embarrassment to sports. You should be ashamed of yourselves for such behaviour.

There is no shame in being the one who pitches such a record-setting/milestone pitch, but there is shame in taking the wimpy way out.

Grow a freakin' backbone...

No comments: