Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Who's the best?

The NHL is announcing their nominees for the NHL Awards, and yesterday was goalie day.

The three Vezina nominees in 2008:

Marty Brodeur
Evgeni Nabokov
King Henrik Lundqvist (is that how you spell it?)

Hmm...I'd give it to Brodeur this year. Nabokov may have won more games, but the Devils took a big hit in free agency and Brodeur carried the team to the playoffs.

Today was d-man day, with the Norris nominees being:

Nicklas Lidstrom
Dion Phaneuf
Zdeno Chara

Okay, Lidstrom will likely win since he's the best thing since #4 was in the NHL. Phaneuf definitely deserves the nomination since he's one hell of a defenceman. But Chara? Sure, he's good - really good - but I would've liked to see Gonchar get some recognition for the first time ever. He was not only reliable in terms of points (as usual), but he has really improved in his own end, too. Maybe I'm a little biased, but whatever - Gonchar gets no love from the NHL.

4 comments:

Jeff K said...

Yes, you spelled "Lundqvist" correctly. Get used to it, because although this may not be his year he should be putting up great numbers for years to come.

Funny, I'm a Devils fan and everyone around here thinks it's between Marty and Henrik but I chose Nabbie (maybe I'm beginning to take Marty for granted?). My friend Rob is a Rangers fan . . . and he chose Brodeur. So I guess it's a tight race if no one can come up with a consensus pick.

They should rename it the Lidstrom Award already. And you're right, Gonchar is underrated; he solidified that Pens D this season.

An unrelated question: when did they start to name the top 3 nominees for each award? I only recall this happening recently.

Anonymous said...

Woot! Another Devils fan :)

And because I'm a Devils fan, I'm going to be extremely biased. I don't know who is going to win it, but Go Marty! :)

Am anxiously waiting for Team Canada to announce the rest of their roster! I want Round 1 to be over with already.

You can't tell I get a little impatient when it comes to hockey, eh? (especially with the Devils being gone...have to wait forever for the next season) :(

Anonymous said...

Am seriously sad Marty won't be at the WC games :( :( :(

DaBich said...

You're right, Sarge gets no respect. Bummer...